Re: multihost exim setup (general MTA question I guess)

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 12:44:15AM -0400, Jonathan Lupa wrote:

> Both are running slink, server does a DNS for JJLNet, any my ISP gives me 1
                   ^^^^^
OK, I'm currently running the next release of Exim and the conf file
was changed slightly but that didn't seem to cause you a problem...

> Here is My /etc/exim.conf file for the server.... (edited as per your email)
> ----------------------------------
> # MAIN CONFIGURATION SETTINGS
> qualify_domain = JJLNet

You may want to also have (I think)

qualify_domain = Sith.JJLNet

qualify_recipient = Sith.JJLNet

so that if say cron mails root, then the mail will end up at
root@Sith.JJLNet (or whatever account root is redirected to)

> local_domains = localhost:JJLNet:Sith:Rankor:Rankor.JJLNet

you could say (without expanding the star yourself)

local_domains = localhost:*.JJLNet

> local_domains_include_host = true
> local_domains_include_host_literals = true
> host_lookup_nets = 0.0.0.0/0
> sender_net_accept_relay = 192.168.2.0/24
                                    ^
I assume you meant that and didn't miss-type 192.168.1.0 :)

> PROBLEM #1. When I try to send mail out through the ISP, the address
> Isn't getting rewritten correctly. Its getting sent through remote_smtp,
> and you can see that that guy should go through /usr/bin/outfilt (from
> the posted URL). I've included the outfilt just below, and have tested it
> by redirecting a fake peice of mail through there: It seems to work by
> hand... I suspect what I have to do here is actually add some rewrite code
> to the exim.conf to get the envelope headers. =/

Yep, your right

*@Sith.JJLNet jjlupa@jamdata.net F
                                 ^
as we need to rewrite the From field as opposed to the From: field!

This is assuming you added <qualify_recipient = Sith.JJLNet> to exim.conf

If you don't add this, then I guess it would be
*@JJLNet jjlupa@jamdata.net F

> PROBLEM #2. You'll notice that I havent tackled the transport of local mail
> to the workstation yet.  That is the last part of the puzzle.  I need to
> get the mail from the server to the workstation (possibly with a .forward).
> Does anyone know the best way to handle this? It is starting to look to me
> like I just need to setup the server to route all mail directed to
> jjlupa@jamdata.net to the workstation, and have the workstation exim
> handle it from there. (The server can act as the workstations smarthost
> in that configuration, I think).

Depends how fetchmail is set up I guess. If you have something like:
	user jjlupa is jon here

then you would use in a .forward file:

if $header_to: contains "jjlupa@jamdata.net" or
   $header_to: contains "jon@Sith.JJLNet"
then deliver jon@Rankor.JJLNet
endif

and read it locally at Rankor. MS-Win users can get the mail from a
POP3 daemon on Sith.JJLNet (or what other mail server you like).

> handle it from there. (The server can act as the workstations smarthost
> in that configuration, I think).
Yes.

PS. stumpel.html deals with the case of a network where many users use
one email account. If that is not required, you could do away with the
outfilt stuff and just have this rewrite rule:

*@*.JJLNet jjlupa@jamdata.net bcfrFs
  ^^ again, depending on qualify recipient etc.

HTH,

Mark