Re: X Login Fails

j way wrote:

> Kent, tnx again for the ^-alt-f2.  Was able to fix the problem & X is running
> fine.
> I was missing some dependencies: rstart, rstartd, xmh, xlib6g-dev & a couple
> of others.
> The login & passwd were accepted ok but then the trouble started, ending with
> another login request.
> The present logo is Gnu Linux X-Windows.  The old nonfunctional was just
> X-Windows.
> Sounds like two different versions.  Also I specified svga driver but this
> cpu has only vga16.  I corrected that
> & made the vga16 my default driver.  That fixed a bunch of problems.
> Now I'm trying to get minicom to download with zmodem.  It doesn't work yet.
> It works ok under hamm, so it's got to be some setup prob.  Thanks again for
> the help.  -John L. Way (not the Bronco!)
> BTW, is it considered bad form to reply to your e-mail addrs directly, rather
> than thru the group?

No, not really bad form. But I only have about a year's worth of Linux
under my belt, and that only part-time, so I'm still pretty green.
Further, I'm not a developer, so that limits my knowledge of the
under-the-hood workings even more. The result is that if you'll reply to
the list, you'll get more and better answers than I can provide. In
addition, other people who are having the same problems can search the
list archives and find their solution there, so replying to the list is
a form of documentation that makes using Linux more acceptable to the
masses.

The only time I've ever used minicom is just to verify that my modem is
working (or to figure out what my ISP expects on dial-up), so I'm afraid
I don't have a clue about downloading with it.

I also don't yet have a firm grip on the whole xdm/gdm (login logo/app)
issue.

I'm glad you're making progress. It's tough, but fun, and I think Linux
literacy will be worth a lot in the next few years.