Re: X Login Fails

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 07:23:29AM -0700, j way wrote:
> I have installed X windows for the first time on slink.  The X login
> prompt box appears, but after keying the password the system reports
> login incorrect.  I'm locked out.  Suggestions? (short of reloading
> linux & the entire 7500 files.)  Any backdoor boot options?  J. Way

Your almost there!

I just fixed the same thing on this box:

I'm not exactly sure what it was, but I deleted everything in
the x11 section, including xdm.  Then I did something like
'apt-get update; apt-get install xf86setup' and then
'apt-get install xdm'.  After running xf86config, everything
was good on alt-f7 (i.e. I could log in via xdm).

Hth, ymmv.

--
David Karlin
mailto:dkarlin@coloradomtn.edu