Re: X Login Fails

j way wrote:

> Kent West wrote:
>
> > j way wrote:
> > >
> > > I have installed X windows for the first time on slink.  The X login
> > > prompt box appears, but after keying the password the system reports
> > > login incorrect.  I'm locked out.  Suggestions? (short of reloading
> > > linux & the entire 7500 files.)  Any backdoor boot options?  J. Way
> >
> > Try to Ctrl-Alt-F[2-6] to get to a command prompt. Then you can look at
> > your password problems.
>
> Kent, tnx for the help, it got me in ok.
> I'm thinking I may have inadvertently installed an X server, rather than an
> X standalone workstation.  I'm the only one using the system & have no need
> for a server for multiple dial-ins.  Have I loaded the wrong packages?
> If so, which packages should I select?
> Otherwise, how would I add myself to the server login & password list?
> -jw.

I'm forwarding this to the list, because some of the people there are a
LOT more knowledgeable than I am, and will be more likely to give you a
better answer.

However, from your question, it sounds like you might be a bit
(understandably) confused about the term "server". With X Window, there
are basically two parts: the server (or "engine"), and the client. If
you're coming from the world of MS-Windows, you can think of the server
as being the Program Manager or Explorer (not Internet Explorer). This
is not really accurate, but it's close enough I think. The clients
"ride" on top of the server. One of the most important clients is the
window manager (wm). Other common clients might be an xterm window, or
Netscape Navigator, or xclock, etc. You can sortta think of the server
as being equivalent to MS-Windows, and the clients as being equivalent
to the apps that you run on MS-Windows (including "built-in" apps like
"My Computer" or "Notepad"). Again, this isn't entirely accurate, but
it's probably close enough.

It is possible that you actually have set up your machine to be a server
for multiple dial-ins, but I doubt it. Notice that when I refer to your
machine as a server in this paragraph, I mean as a machine that serves
some one-to-many function, like a print server or a file server or a web
server. However, this is to be distinguished from an X server, which
just means the basic engine of X Window.

Maybe this'll help a bit.