Re: Brand spankin new user...

Soul Existance wrote:

> Ok, i downloaded the latest release of Debian... now i want to install it. i
> set aside 3gig for it. i'll be multi-os-ing between linux and win98.
>
> If you dont mind, here's my quesion:
>
> The install disk tells me i need to partition my drive for the /swap and
> /root portions. I am not really familiar with the prog it is using to
> partition, so is it going to destroy any data on my win98 partition, or when
> i do this change, does it only partition the 3 gigs i set aside... i think i
> can finish it after that, but it's just the idea of loosing everything i
> already have aquired.

Dear Soul,

Welcome to Linux.  I am pretty new to Debian myself.  My experience with
that partitioning program is like this.

When it starts it shows the present state of your hard drive.  What
partitions that you have right now. It will not make any changes
to your drive until you give the command to "Write" to the disk.

If you have some space set aside to use for Linux swap and the
main Linux partition then go ahead and make the partitions out
of the free space.

I think it is the step after the partitions are made that the
install program asks you which partition to mount as "/" root.
That's the step that will format the partition you select and
you will loose data.  But I'm pretty sure that it will not
mess with your windows partition unless you tell it to mount
your windows partition by mistake.

Later in the install you will need to configure "LILO" to
get your system to give you the duel boot that you are looking
for.  But that is a different question.

Later,
Ray
--