Re: Brand spankin new user...

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 02:52:02AM -0700, Craig B wrote:
> One last note, I don't mean to discourage you from using Debian, but it
> _is_ the most difficult to install. I understand that RedHat and Caldera
> are the easiest.  You may want to get your feet wet with one of those
> and then graduate to Debian (it has a lot to offer) after you have
> earned some salt.

well, I respecfully disagree. IMHO it's better to jump into the cold
water, i.e. start with Debian right away, rather than starting with one
of the supposingly "easier" ones and then spend some time learning
about the differences between Debian and some other distribution.
And if you finally got your Red Hat or Caldera set up, why would you
want to reinstall everything just to use a different distribution.

If you haven't worked with Linux before it does not matter which
distribution you choose - IMHO they are all equally complicated to
install.

A friend of mine who had no prior experience with Linux and is not "too
sharp" with computers took a look at different distributions and decided
to install Debian, because he liked the "generic" way this distribution
offered, without any specifig configuration files or system dependent
config tools.
He got Debian up and running on the first try and is quite happy with it.

I do not think one needs to be intimidated by Debian because the
installation procedure is a little more complicated than SuSE's yast or
Red Hat.

Cheers -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de