Re: where is what? - clarification (hopefully)

I am compelled by my nature to pick a couple nits.

    Jari> However, one thing is for sure: what(1) is not equivalent of
    Jari> ident(1).

I didn't mean that they are identical, I meant they serve the same
purpose in their respective packages. what is to ident as get is to
co.

    Jari> What suprises me, is that debian community doesn't know
    Jari> about the what(1) utility. As Mark demonstrates:

    Jari> Get /pub/debian/dists/slink/Contents-i386.gz
    Jari> zgrep '/what[^a-z._-]'
    Jari> Think "Oh, it printed nothing,

    Jari> I think he means

    Jari>     zgrep "@\(#\)"

No, I meant to answer the original poster's second question,

      quote automatically with supercite

    Keith> 2) how could I effectively use the web pages search, or
    Keith> some other search capability, to have answered that
    Keith> question without bothering the debian mailing lists?

by demonstrating a way to see if there is an executable called "what"
in Debian (checking the Contents-i386 file).
--
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.
http://www.clark.net/pub/hermit/