Brand spankin new user...

Ok, i downloaded the latest release of Debian... now i want to install it. i
set aside 3gig for it. i'll be multi-os-ing between linux and win98.

If you dont mind, here's my quesion:

The install disk tells me i need to partition my drive for the /swap and
/root portions. I am not really familiar with the prog it is using to
partition, so is it going to destroy any data on my win98 partition, or when
i do this change, does it only partition the 3 gigs i set aside... i think i
can finish it after that, but it's just the idea of loosing everything i
already have aquired.

any and all help will be very appreciated.