Re: ftp ls & dir problem

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 02:28:19AM -0700, Seth R Arnold wrote:
> Jean-Yves, try setting your ftp program to passive mode -- sometimes PASV,
> PASSIVE, depending on your ftp client.
>
> Chances are your firewall prevents these things from happening. Normally,
> your ftp client opens a control channel to the server, and when you download
> files, your client opens a port, and lets the server initiate the
> connection. This initiating connection is often blocked by firewalls, which
> are designed to prevent inside computers from allowing external users from
> connecting to your servers -- which happens to be how ftp works.
>
> Passive mode asks the server to open a port for you to connect to. (A poster
> here in the lsat two weeks said such a thing was intended for
> server-to-server communication.. firewalls didn't exist back then. Those
> must have been very happy days..)

Hi Arnold,

I fliped into 'passive' (ftp is the install one), but I have a new error msg
(ftp was ftp.lip6.fr):

    ... login anonymous + email as PW
    ftp> passive
    Passive mode on.
    ftp> ls
    227 Entering Passive Mode (195,83,1181,165,59)
    ftp: connect: No path to reach target host
(I translated last line from french to english)

So, always no ls, sniff...

JY