Re: ftp ls & dir problem

Jean-Yves, try setting your ftp program to passive mode -- sometimes PASV,
PASSIVE, depending on your ftp client.

Chances are your firewall prevents these things from happening. Normally,
your ftp client opens a control channel to the server, and when you download
files, your client opens a port, and lets the server initiate the
connection. This initiating connection is often blocked by firewalls, which
are designed to prevent inside computers from allowing external users from
connecting to your servers -- which happens to be how ftp works.

Passive mode asks the server to open a port for you to connect to. (A poster
here in the lsat two weeks said such a thing was intended for
server-to-server communication.. firewalls didn't exist back then. Those
must have been very happy days..)