Re: sb live card under debian

On 15-Sep-99 Rob Browning wrote:
> "Jim Ruby" <jim@djruby.org> writes:
>
>> Is there a driver for the sound blaster live card?
>> I have the sb.o module installed but don't quite get how to get it started,
>> it says i/o icq and dma is required.
>>
>> so I'm not show to do the i/o as it don't like i as an argument.
>>
>> modprobe i=6500 o=651f irq=9 dma=1
>
> As far as I know the SBLive is completely unusable under Linux, and
> Creative Labs is refusing to give any programming info for the card so
> there may not be a free-software driver in the near future.

Your wrong.  I have a SoundBlaster Live! (Value!), and it works fine under
kernel 2.2.11.  Simply get the module from
http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/.  The README with it says that it will
only work for kernels 2.0.36 or 2.2.5 or 2.2.10, but I got it to work with
insmod -f emu10k1.o.  Make sure that you have no other modules loaded.  You
only want the sound core module loaded.

> But you can get good PCI cards that are supported for about $20 now,
> so it's not that big a deal.  See www.alsa-project.org for one list of
> supported cards.

There isn't much better than the Live!... However, for linux it is probably
overkill right now, because you don't get all the enviromental audio tuning
tools, etc.

HTH,

Wim Kerkhoff
wim@netmaster.ca
www.canadianhomes.net/wim

Tomorrow, this will be part of the unchangeable past but fortunately,
it can still be changed today.