Re: cfdisk hates me ("FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 1: Partition ends after end-of-disk"

Seth R Arnold wrote:

> Jens, do you think it would be a good idea to try to fill my hard drive, so
> that if things do start dissapearing, it is when I expect them to, rather
> than .. some time in the future, when I likely forget about the problem?

Yeah, that's not a bad strategy. At least then you'd know. You can try:

yes > yesfile.txt

I guess files can only be 2GB so you might have to do it a couple times.

> On the otherhand, I would expect e2fs to throw things mostly randomly on the
> drive, so I would think that it would have tried to store things beyond  the
> edge already? Or isthat a recipe for fragmentation, and hence e2fs does its
> best to NOT throw things on the drive randomly....

I wish I could give you a definitive answer. It is also my _belief_ that e2fs puts things
all over on the drive and thus you would've hit a non-existent spot already if there was one
but I really am not sure.

> Thanks Jens! :)

Sure. Let me know what you find out (and please copy to my own email since sometimes I miss
things on the list--I almost missed this post). Good luck.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com