Re: cfdisk hates me ("FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 1: Partition ends after end-of-disk"

Hopefully this isn't bad (what would make it no bad? oooh is this complicated, see doc
reference below). I also have one of these IBM disks which reports itself as being
8GB. If things are working for you then that's great. I'm currently only using 8GB of
mine for this same reason.

Why does the disk report itself as being 8GB? Because 8GB is the absolute limit which
is addressable using c/h/s as reported by INT 13 (1024 cylinders, 256 heads, 63
sectors). With LBA (logical block address) up to 137GB may be addressed. This answer
I'm sure raises more questions. The topic is a long and sordid piece of PC history.
There's an extensive doc on the subject at
ftp://ftp.wi.leidenuniv.nl/pub/faqs/bios.faq. Note that this document is a bit dated
and PC bioses have changed since the time of its writing.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com