Re: Printing problem with HP LaserJet IIP

> I recently got a printer from someone who wasnt using it. He lost all the
> manuals but claims the printer used to work correctly under win 95/98. The
> printer is an HP LaserJet IIP (Plus). Now here is the problem I get: I tried
> setting up apsfilter and magicfilter, using the filter ljet2p, ljet2plo and
> ljet2plus, I tried lpr and lprng, and each time I get exactly the same error:
> the text prints out correctly but is output 4 times!

I have an old Star laser here that emulates a LaserJet IIP and it works
great with the ljet2p filter.  I would expect a genuine IIP to work just
as well.

When you say it prints four times, do you mean four copies of the same
page?  If so, that might be a setting in the printer's menus.  Those
things usually have a control panel on the front of the printer.  I have
seen several lasers, including a LaserJet III that have a number of copies
option that can be accessed using that control panel.  If you are getting
duplicate pages, you might want to make sure that is set to one.

I saw a situation with the LaserJet III where if the OS specified the
number of copies, it would obey.  If the OS does not specify, the printer
uses its setting.  I had a surprise one day because someone had set the
printer to 10!  Apparently the program I was using only specifies number
of copies if you want more than one.  Since I wanted one, the program did
not tell the printer and the printer spit out ten copies.

> Another strange thing: if I try using it via samba from a windoze box (using
> the printer 'raw', thus without filter), I get only one page, then 4 blank
> pages. This is better but still annoying.

No idea on the blank pages.  The OKI I have now has an option in its menus
to kill blank pages, but I haven't needed to use it.  I used this printer
for a while with the ljet2p filter because i was too lazy to change the
printcap.

Hope this helps,
Patrick