Re: multiple-file search & replace

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 02:00:10PM -0200, Guilherme Soares Zahn wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a tool to help me search & replace a given keyword in all files inside a directory (and its subdirectories)... For instance, imagine that I wanted to change, in ALL makefiles of the Linux kernel source, the name of the compiler to use...

Running sed on files identified with find should do the trick.  In this
specific case, there's a shell variable in arch/whatever/Makefile which
controls the C compiler used (whatever being the architecture name - i386
for PCs).

[Please use line breaks within paragraphs and leave a blank line between
paragraphs]

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/