Printing problem with HP LaserJet IIP

I recently got a printer from someone who wasnt using it. He lost all the
manuals but claims the printer used to work correctly under win 95/98. The
printer is an HP LaserJet IIP (Plus). Now here is the problem I get: I tried
setting up apsfilter and magicfilter, using the filter ljet2p, ljet2plo and
ljet2plus, I tried lpr and lprng, and each time I get exactly the same error:
the text prints out correctly but is output 4 times!

Another strange thing: if I try using it via samba from a windoze box (using
the printer 'raw', thus without filter), I get only one page, then 4 blank
pages. This is better but still annoying.

Is there a known catch with using this kind of printer under linux? Did anyone
get one working correctly? Or did anyone experience a similar problem with
another printer.

Thank you,
-Lex

PS: Please cc to me