Re: Mouse configuration

Ron Stordahl wrote:

> I am doing a fresh install and get to the point where the install asks:
>
> Do you want to run gpm's mouse-test program (Y/n)?  (to which I respond)
> Where is your mouse [/dev/ttyS0]?  (to which I respond)
> /dev/psaux     (since I have a Microsoft Intellimouse 1.2A PS/2 compatible)
> What type is your mouse (or help) [ms]?
> help  (which gives me a list which is confusing for these reasons:
>
> ms   - For Microsoft mice (2 or 3 buttons)......
>  ---various obviously wrong choices....
> ps2  - For most busmice connected to a ps/2 port (round with 6 metal pins).
>  ---various other obviously wrong choices
>
> I don't know what a 'busmouse' is except I thought it was more or less
> extinct yet I am inclined to choose ps2.
>
> I know my mouse is a PS/2 type, connected with a round din plug installed on
> the mainboard.
>
> Whats the correct answer?
>
> Ron
>
> --

ps2 is the correct answer.

I was a little confused by the choices too.  I don't have
statistics, but I would guess that the vast majority of computers
sold in the last two years have a PS/2 Microsoft mouse.  The
various mouse configuration programs in Linux (X included) would
be easier for most people to understand if they said "if you
aren't using a laptop, you probably have a PS/2 mouse".

- Kris