Re: Mouse configuration

Ron:

I am looking at "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" fifth edition from QUE.

BUS
A bus mouse is typically used in systems that do not have motherboard mouse port or any
available serialports. The name bus mouse is derived from the fact that the mouse
requires a special bus interface board that occupies a slot in your computer and
communicates with the device driver across the main motherboard bus.
So if you don't have a card plugged into your ISA slot then you don't have a bus mouse.

Motherboard Mouse Port (PS/2)
Most newer PC come with a dedicated mouse port built into the motherboard.  Referred as
the PS/2 mouse interface.  This usually uses a mini-DIN connector like the one used on
most keyboards.

The book says that the PS/2 uses IRQ12 which is usually free. This allow you to connect
other devices to com1 and com2.  I believe that the "Microsoft" mouse uses the serial
port (i.e. com1 or com2).