Re: [Debian: Grafikkarte] 3Dfx (MAXI Gamer 3D)

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 01:43:57PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Today I have found a 3Dfx graphic card in my miracle sack
>
> Currently I am using the 'miroCrystal 40 sv' which works very good,
> but the 3Dfx und mor then 2 years younger and it will have more Power.

You will still have to rely on your graphic card for 2D graphics.
The 3Dfx card will give you fast 3D graphic display for some
specific applications.

> Annd which VGA server must I use with Debian/DLD ???

AFAIK, you cannot use the 3Dfx with X. You must still use your video card.

On Linux, you will only be able to use the 3Dfx 3D accelaration with
the applications specially designed to use it (Quake 2 is the only one
I know of) from a VGA console.

For this, you will need to download the Glide driver (something like
Glide_VG-2_46-1_i386_glibc.rpm) from the 3Dfx web site
( http://www.3dfx.com ). Have a look at the 3Dfx HowTo for more
informations.

Hope it helps.

Jean-Philippe