Re: modules loading (possibly zip driver quesiton too...)

Stephen Pitts wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 08:47:20AM -0400, Jon Hughes wrote:
> > I just posted a question last night about some problems with a ZIP drive.
> > One thing I read that could be a possible solution is the module lp is
> > figured out in Debian where to set up which modules load when in what
> > file....can anyone point me in the right direction?
> >

> The best way is to have the kernel load modules on demand via kmod.
> Unfortunately, there are times (ide-scsi comes to mind), where there is
> no elegant way to do that. /etc/modules contains a list of modules
> loaded at boot time.
> --
> Stephen Pitts
> smpitts@midsouth.rr.com
> webmaster - http://www.mschess.org
>
> --

The util you want is modconf - it's the bit that runs when you're installing debian
for the first time.

As root, run modconf and find the lp and ppa modules, then remove them both.  You'll
find lp in misc section and ppa in scsi.  Remove both modules (ppa one probably isn't
installed though), then re-install them but be sure to do ppa first, then lp.

modconf controls the order of modules loading from the file /etc/modules - which you
can edit by hand, incidentally, as well as by using modconf.  Just re-order the
modules.

Another thing - it might depend on your vintage of zip drive - if it's a newer drive,
you might need to use the imm module instead of ppa.  Mine is old, so I need ppa.
Again, make sure to load imm first from modconf.

Hope this gets you up and running .

Jonathan