cfdisk doesn't work with Windows 98 Long Disk Support?!

i'm trying to install debian linux from a cd-rom that was in the 'Debian
GNU/Linux Guide to Installation' book.

the problem is that i have a 25 GB disk.  if i want to use more than 2 GB for
windows 98 (which i do) then i must enable long disk support when i use
windows 98 fdisk to partition my disk.  unfortunately, the cfdisk that came
on the cd-rom can't handle the partition table that windows 98 writes.

does anyone know a workaround for this?

furthermore, if i just forget windows 98 partitions altogether and try to
install linux by itself, cfdisk only recognizes 8 GB of my disk.  does
anyone know why cfdisk only recognizes 8 GB of a 25 GB disk.

is the version of cfdisk that i have obsolete?

i've consulted the large disk HOWTO, and have not been able to figure it out.
according to the HOWTO, i should not have any problems.

at this point, i'm considering installing red hat.  i have to buddies who
have very similar machines, and they installed red hat with no problem.

--
Duggan Dieterly                                    voice: (970) 898-7906
Software Design Engr                               fax:   (970) 898-3684