How retain Windows long file names?

When I 'xcopy *.* a:\ /s" and then copy those files to my linux machine
with 'cp' my long files names are lost.  Any idea how to retain these long
file names when using media instead of ftp to transfer files between systems?

Also, is there an equivalent command to copy the files to linux including
full paths? The above mentioned diskette has around 500 cgi and html files
in 50 subdirectories and I'd like to be able to copy them to linux within
their respective paths without having to manually enter all 50
subdirectories and manually copy the files over, one subdirectory at a time.

Maybe there's some other way to achieve the same results besides the 'cp'
command if cp does not support long file names and if it can't copy entire
subdirectories(?).

I'm reading man cp right now to see if the above can be accomplished but
since man cp is no longer being maintained it seems best to ask here as
well, for updated info.

Thanks

Give a skeptic an inch... and he'll measure it.