Re: E! Enlightenment for newbie?

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 03:03:17PM +1200, Matthew Gregan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 05:18:39AM +0100, John Gay wrote:
> > 7: At the moment, my daughter's PC is limited to 8 bit colour. Can E
> > be configured to reduce any problems this causes? Right now, with
> > fvwm95, if I open one app with lots of colours, than another one,
> > the second complains there are not enough colours left and the
> > screen keep switching different colours as the two app's borrow from
> > each other. Is there some way to make the apps use the same colours?
>
> That's really dependant on the X server configuration. Most of the
> themes for E! tend to use a *lot* of colours, so you'd probably find
> the problem you described was worse using E!, but that's not to say
> you can't use a low-colour theme... But the way apps handle colour
> allocation is out of the hands of the window-manager.

Hmmm...I though E and most of GNOME used Raster's imlib, which means they do
an excellent job of dithering, even in 8 bit color. At least that has been
my expereince. It's the next best thing to re-writing X code to get
applications to share colors nicely. Of course, a low color theme will free up
color cells. And you can set imlib to use a very small color pallete, thus
saving colors for other applications at the cost of appearance. Just run
imlib_config.

Just some thoughts,
Robbie