Re: Automatic software installing (like Win. 2000)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Sami Dalouche wrote:
> I would like to know if there's a possibility with apt (or something else)
> to do the same that windows/Office 2000.
> It installs automaticly new software from the CD when you want to start a
> non-installed function.
>
> It could be great if under Debian, when we type a command that don't exist,
> it would automaticly search the command from a small APT database or from the internet if diald|direct connection is here.
> And we could specify in a conffile to download the software or to install
> directly from the CD.
>
> Wouldn't it be cool ? Is it possible to program ?

Egads man! That would be a lot of work, for it to work (I personally wouldn't
want it on my machine for numerous reasons) you'd have to make *EVERY* program
that executed a program check with apt/dpkg to see if a package contains that
executable. The only other way around it would be to write a wrapper program
that would take as arguments the command line to search for and possibly
install. This would be easier but you'd still have to tell all other programs
to change what they execute in order for your program to search for new
packages.

--
Ashley Clark