Re: Automatic software installing (like Win. 2000)

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 02:13:59AM +0200, Sami Dalouche wrote:
> I would like to know if there's a possibility with apt (or something else)
> to do the same that windows/Office 2000.
> It installs automaticly new software from the CD when you want to start a
> non-installed function.
>
> It could be great if under Debian, when we type a command that don't exist,
> it would automaticly search the command from a small APT database or from the internet if diald|direct connection is here.

Are you sure it would be good?
Aren't debian's dependencies meant to handle that pretty much?

> And we could specify in a conffile to download the software or to install
> directly from the CD.
>
> Wouldn't it be cool ? Is it possible to program ?
Well you would have to alter each and every shell for a start, to call your
code when it can't find the path, and that's just for commands people would
type. Then commands called from compiled languages would need a lower level
method of handling it maybe.

> If a such software doesn't exist, do some people want to join to me to
> program a such thing - As soon as I'm able to do it, I'm learning C in the
> moment -. ?
I wouldn't. I think that unix is not like that; I think the fact that apt-get
can install packages I haven't individually requested it to is enough for me;
I want control, not nannying.

Good idea though.

frankie