[SQL] a newbie's question on language syntax

Hi:

  Thanks for reading my problem. I got MySQL
installed a while ago. My problem is how to
display database(or table) content with
proper syntax of SQL language.

  The following is a quote from the interactive
mode of MySQL, under which I've tried several
commands. The database I was working on is named
"mysql", but the prompt of the interactive mode
is also called mysql:

  mysql->select *
       ->SELECT *
       ->select * from mysql
       ->SELECT * FROM mysql

  My purpose was just to look at the content of
the database, "mysql". There showed nothing, no
matter how I tried using "select" or "show". BTW,
I'm just wondering does commands have to be small
latters or big letters?

Have a nice day

Jack