Re: Netscape

Kent West wrote:

> Greg Starkes wrote:
> >
> > Ryan Chouinard wrote:
> > >
> > > I always hear people complain about Netscape crashing, but I never had
> > > that problem, except in Windows. But then, everything crashes in
> > > Windows. Netscape works fine for me in RH, Slackware, and now Debian.
> > > What's the deal?
> >
> > I never had a problem either, until I decided to try kde. Then I would
> > have a crash usually once a day. I normally use Window Maker, under
> > which netscape runs without a problem. Could this be the cause? KDE does
> > set a bunch of x resources for colors and fonts, so maybe it does
> > something that netscape doesn't like.
> >

> Hmm, that's an interesting thought. I don't run KDE (I run IceWM), but I
> often have Netscape crashes. But I'm running on a 1MB older video card
> and only 32MB RAM and am always getting messages from Netscape about not
> having enough resources (or memory?) to set color pallettes (or somesuch
> -- I just ignore the messages now so I don't remember what they say). So
> it may be that the people having crashes have fewer "resources" than the
> people not having crashes.

I run Window Maker, and I always have. My dad (who alo uses this machine) uses KDE,
due to it's simplicity and "user friendly" interface. Even he has no problems.
I was just wondering what other people thought of the Netscape problem. I am unaware
of any other great browser for Linux, although I don't doubt thier existance.
I also never used Linux on anything less than a K6/233 with 64 megs of ram and an S3
ViRGE/DX video card.  I believe you may have struck it with the resource problem.
I can't speak (or, in this case type) for anyone else, but I would like some input
from other users and thier experience with Netscape on Linux.

--Ryan Chouinard

(I just noticed all my lines start with "I".
Heh...)