Re: Adaptec AHA-2940

> Andrew Hodgson wrote:
>
> I have just tried to install Debian on a machine with an Adaptec AHA
> 2940 SCSI adapter. When I run install from DOS (or boot from the
> rescue floppy) the machine hangs after detecting the SCSI adapter. The
> last message on the screen is... Downloading sequencer instructions...
> 419 instructions downloaded.
>
> Anyone know if this SCSI adapter works with Debian?
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Yes, it does work, but you need special boot-up disks to get started. My
understanding is that the default kernels have support for all sorts of
SCSI adapters, and somehow this confuses the machine with an AHA-2940.
The special boot disks have trimmed the kernel down to supporting just
the AHA-2940.

Search the Debian Mail List Archives (using the search engine at the
bottom of the page, not the Search button at the top of the page) for
"AHA-2940" for the past year or so and you should find several hits with
more info on this issue, including where to find the special boot-up
disks (somewhere on the Debian site IIRC).