apache/lynx problem - this is driving me crazy...

httpd errors have been a week long problem and I thought everything was
fine because there weren't any error messages when I typed "apache" on the
command line. It wasn't until I actually tried using apache that I found
out it wasn't running

When I type "apache" I just get another > line. No response, no errors, nada.

When I type "lynx localhost" I get:
    Alert! Unable to connect to remote host.
   lynx: can't startfile http://localhost

When I just type "lynx" I get:
   Alert! Unable to connect to remote host.
   lynx: can't startfile http://www/one-click.com

When I type "apachectl start" I get:
   /usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

I've re-run apacheconfig a million times and am stumped as to why I get
these errors. I've also checked /etc/host and /etc/apache/httpd.conf to see
if there is anything obvious that is wrong. i can't find the problem.

Any ideas??

Andre'