Re: Anybody using vgetty (mgetty-voice)?

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 09:29:13AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote
> I have always used Windows-applications to use my computer as a telephone
> answering machine and want to try out mgetty-voice or vgetty.  I use
> Slink but with mgetty-voice_1.1.20 which I compiled from the source in
> potato.
>
> The documentation of vm, part of the mgetty-voice package is minimal. I
> have two questions at this stage (more may come up as I experiment with
> the software):
>
> 1. How do I use vm to record a message that can be used as the default
> greeting?

I never figured this out; I just left myself a message and used that
(a couple of call tolls, but quick & easy and it demonstrates that
the thing works).

> 2. How can I arrange the permissions that vgetty can be run as a user and
> not as root.  I have added myself as user to the 'adm' group, but that did
> not solve the problem:

I'm not sure why you need to do this.

> $vm record -H /tmp/boodskap
> cannot open logfile /var/log/mgetty/mg_unknown.log: Permission denied
> cannot open logfile /var/log/mgetty/vm.log: Permission denied
> jhspies-09:20:17-~/.gnome-desktop$
>
> When I try it as superuser the following happens:
>
> jhspies-09:22:19-~/.gnome-desktop$sudo vm record -H /tmp/boodskap
> jhspies-09:24:08-~/.gnome-desktop$
>
> in other words: nothing.  I wanted to use the handset to record a message.

What is in /var/log/mgetty/{mg_unknown,vm}.log?

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au