Anybody using vgetty (mgetty-voice)?

I have always used Windows-applications to use my computer as a telephone
answering machine and want to try out mgetty-voice or vgetty.  I use
Slink but with mgetty-voice_1.1.20 which I compiled from the source in
potato.

The documentation of vm, part of the mgetty-voice package is minimal. I
have two questions at this stage (more may come up as I experiment with
the software):

1. How do I use vm to record a message that can be used as the default
greeting?

2. How can I arrange the permissions that vgetty can be run as a user and
not as root.  I have added myself as user to the 'adm' group, but that did
not solve the problem:

$vm record -H /tmp/boodskap
cannot open logfile /var/log/mgetty/mg_unknown.log: Permission denied
cannot open logfile /var/log/mgetty/vm.log: Permission denied
jhspies-09:20:17-~/.gnome-desktop$

When I try it as superuser the following happens:

jhspies-09:22:19-~/.gnome-desktop$sudo vm record -H /tmp/boodskap
jhspies-09:24:08-~/.gnome-desktop$

in other words: nothing.  I wanted to use the handset to record a message.

I hope somebody can help me here.

Johann
| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain
      salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us,
      that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live
      together with him."
                         I Thessalonians 5:9,10