Re: how to format mySeagate ST33210A

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 12:02:50AM -0400, Ralph Winslow wrote:
> I just got a new HD and tried to format it using my Debian 1.0
> Installation Boot
> & Emergency disk set.  I made the disk primary and unplugged my current
> 2.1Mb
> drive and booted the first disk and partitioned using the second
> (Ramdisk).
> I made a 100Mb swap and the rest, ~3Gb, Linux bootable, then made the
> swap area
> with no problems.  But when I tried to format the Linux partition it
> failed with
> 256/373mkfs.ext2: can'r resolve symbol 'llseek'.  I then made the drive
> secondary
> and re-plugged my 2Gb 2.2 primary drive and rebooted, hoping to format
> from my
> regular system.  I tried mke2fs /dev/hdd, but it says, no such device.
> I did
> an apropos format | more, but didn't spot a disk formatter in the
> voluminous
> output.  Can anyone spare a clue for a veteran?  TIA

This is mke2fs /dev/hddn where n is the partition number. Also you dont say
whether you made it slave or master, sec master is hdc. I have a ST310230A and
never got any problem with it. I think I put it on the primary and installed
windoze on it first as I have had bad experiences of installing that over
linux.

I guess the unresolved symbol probably means that ur executing the dynamically
linked binary but /lib is ur ramdisk, thus the lib is not correct (maybe ur
using glibc2.1 with a slink bootdisk?). Try with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Hope this can help...

-Lex