how to format mySeagate ST33210A

I just got a new HD and tried to format it using my Debian 1.0
Installation Boot
& Emergency disk set.  I made the disk primary and unplugged my current
2.1Mb
drive and booted the first disk and partitioned using the second
(Ramdisk).
I made a 100Mb swap and the rest, ~3Gb, Linux bootable, then made the
swap area
with no problems.  But when I tried to format the Linux partition it
failed with
256/373mkfs.ext2: can'r resolve symbol 'llseek'.  I then made the drive
secondary
and re-plugged my 2Gb 2.2 primary drive and rebooted, hoping to format
from my
regular system.  I tried mke2fs /dev/hdd, but it says, no such device.
I did
an apropos format | more, but didn't spot a disk formatter in the
voluminous
output.  Can anyone spare a clue for a veteran?  TIA

Ralph Winslow		      rjw@nac.net
The IQ of the group is that of the member
whose IQ is lowest  divided by the number
of members.  (Present company excepted of
course).