Re: Configuring a monitor (power downs)

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Lee Elliott wrote:

I've tried to put almost all the BIOS settings into 'default' mode now.
Besides 'shadow ram' and 'apm'. I've used to take even the power-cord out
the box after shutting down. It has worked now. (cf later)

> Hello Virtanen,
>
> Re the power problems you're having:
>
> 4. You say that power goes off while booting Debian - is this consistent
> (that is, each time it powers down while booting - obviously, it doesn't
> always power-down on boot, otherwise you wouldn't have the X problem) -
> does it power-down at the same point each time, assuming you get some
> sort of info before it happens?

There wasn't any info... it just went down.

If it is consistent, then Debian is
> doing something specific to make it happen.

> 5.  If it isn't consistent, then why is Debian being inconsistent?
>
> 6. If Debian is doing something to power-down during boot, then it must
> be either the loader or the kernel, or something compiled into it [the
> kernel].
>
> If it's not right with no power management features compiled into the
> kernel - change it.  Try with the PM features compiled in.
>
> I've just spotted, in one of your postings: "With Win95 the power goes
> off automatically when I stop the os" - M$ is managing your power!  If
> the power switch is one of the simple (cheap and common) 'push to make
> - release to break' type, and doesn't 'click' on and off (push to make
> - push to break), or a toggle type, then your PC isn't getting
> completely powered down.

Exactly that 'push' type, not click on and off. Exactly PC isn't
completely powered down.

I can't say exactly what is still powered-up
> but certainly the PSU management system, which is probably quite
> intelligent these days.  There may be 'BIOS' settings in there (the
> PSU).  Some elements of the PSU will always still be active, with a
> 'simple' power switch, because it needs power
> to detect the 'make' signal from the switch when you push it.  Otherwise
> you would have to hold the switch in all the time.  If it's a
> 'wake-on-lan' MB, there will be even more MB systems running while your
> system is 'powered down'.

What is PSU?
Basically you're telling exactly similar things, what I've been thinking
about.

I think that I have to keep some break between booting again and shutting
down... It might as well be the case that, while I'm using 'loadlin' (I
couldn't install LILO for some reason, I'll try now again.) there could be
some info loaded in from DOS... But why didn't it do it always... that
power going down-behaviour?

I'll see, if it will start working now, after putting BIOS almost back to
'default' settings. It seems to be the case that someone has made his own
settings before me. There might be some other settings changed as well...
I'll open the machine during next week. (to see if there is even
'overclocked' cpu)

But the problem is that it was working very well with windows...
And not consistetly with debian...

> Try not to get too down about this - I recently wasted three days trying
> to install NTS on a new server before I found that the NT boot floppies
> asked an extra question when compared to the M$-Select CD I was using.
>
> Could you mail me your /etc/XF86Config? - I'd like to have a look at
> that.

X works now, because of the new svga-server, which seems to be capable for
Mattrox cards.

> I've got to say that I'm a Debian newbie, but I've 'done' 25 years on
> 'other' various systems.  Re your (and everyone else's (computer))
> problem, either it can be fixed, or we can find out why it can't.  Best
> thing about computers is there is no random element in the design, so
> we know there is an answer.  It's just tracking it down that's the hard
> (best) part.

Exactly. I've been working with many kinds of machines during almost all
my life... more than 30 years experience with machines, (but only 15 years
with computers...)

I might have beaten this beast now.

> LeeE

-hv