HELP : SETUP problem (DSELECT)

Hi, every one
I'm trying to setup DEBIAN to my PC for the first time.
I have no experience LINUX before and DEBIAN is my first linux.
When I setup the DEBIAN, I encountered serious problems.
I hope anyone who knows the reasons of those let me know it.

My problem is as follows :

(1) I cound not install any package

I copied the binary files from FTP mirror site to my hard disk.
When I set up the DEBIAN the dSELECT program is lauched.
But when I entered ACCESS menu I selected "harddisk" and
put the name "/dev/hda1" ( My hard disk is partitioned into 3
one is for DOS,  another is for LINUX and the other is for LINUX SWAP)
and to the "TYPE"  I wrote "msdos", and
DSELECT program asked me to write the top location of the files
and so I wrote "user/frog/Linux/Debian/dists/slink".
But DSELECT told me the "there is no such directory" .
What is the problem???
I copied the linux program "Debian/dists/slink/~~~" into
my hard disk  ( -> c:/user/frog/Linux/).
So I could not setup any more program..........

(2) Network function is abnormal

When the setup procedure, I selected network interface card to "S3509"
and I full-filled the IP address items such as DNS, GateWay, my ip, etc.
But when setup is completed I execute the ping command.
But the command put any message(response) to me.

How can I solve these problems???????
I hope your help.....

Thanks in advance