Re: debian installation

Wahyu,

> From: "wahyu indrianto" <indria_28@hotmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:16:26 JAVT
>
> Dear all,
> I'm begineer for using debian, it's first time for me to innstall.
> but  I have problem for using. After I'm finised my installation the
> software cannot be use. I try to call XF86Setup they couldn't work.
> Please tell me what's wrong.

Debian, admittedly, is one of the most primitive Linux
installations I've ever used. Among the problems are
the fact that no matter what you tell it during
installation about your intended configuration, it
sets everything up not to work. You'll find the same
problem with ppp which is most likely set up to deny
all access and printing which is most likely not set
up at all.

You have to read each of the HOWTO's and manually
configure each thing. This can sometimes be difficult
because different flavors of Linux make subtle changes
to the base so some of the HOWTO's don't apply any
more (Caldera and yp fer instance). Since I still
haven't managed to fully configure my Debian system,
all I know is that the HOWTO isn't always enough. I
grabbed my XF86Config from Slackware Linux and it
worked OK. I'll be glad to send you a copy of it as
a start.

If this becomes too frustrating, install Slackware or
Caldera Linux. They have some problems too, but after
installation, they're configured to work.

Julian