Re: debian installation

Julian Taylor wrote:

> Wahyu,
>
> > From: "wahyu indrianto" <indria_28@hotmail.com>
> > Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:16:26 JAVT
> >
> > Dear all,
> > I'm begineer for using debian, it's first time for me to innstall.
> > but  I have problem for using. After I'm finised my installation the
> > software cannot be use. I try to call XF86Setup they couldn't work.
> > Please tell me what's wrong.
>
> Debian, admittedly, is one of the most primitive Linux
> installations I've ever used. Among the problems are
> the fact that no matter what you tell it during
> installation about your intended configuration, it
> sets everything up not to work. You'll find the same
> problem with ppp which is most likely set up to deny
> all access and printing which is most likely not set
> up at all.
>
> You have to read each of the HOWTO's and manually
> configure each thing. This can sometimes be difficult
> because different flavors of Linux make subtle changes
> to the base so some of the HOWTO's don't apply any
> more (Caldera and yp fer instance). Since I still
> haven't managed to fully configure my Debian system,
> all I know is that the HOWTO isn't always enough. I
> grabbed my XF86Config from Slackware Linux and it
> worked OK. I'll be glad to send you a copy of it as
> a start.
>
> If this becomes too frustrating, install Slackware or
> Caldera Linux. They have some problems too, but after
> installation, they're configured to work.
>
> Julian

	You know I once bought into the idea that RedHat is easy to
install and Debian wasn't.  Because of this, when a relative
wanted to try Linux, I, believing the buzz, suggested trying RH
first.  I was wrong, he ended up facing the same problems I faced
when installing an earlier Debian many moons ago.  Specifically he
couldn't get ppp working.  The last time I installed Debian, it
had pppconfig which worked flawlessly for me.  Now, I believe that
the ease of install depends entirely on the hardware of the box
being installed onto, and not the distribution.  If Linux is happy
with the hardware and its configuration, i.e. standard serial
mouse on ttyS0, hayes standard modem (not PnP) on ttyS1, etc, then
the install will be virtually painless regardless of whether you
are installing Debian, RH, Caldera, etc.

--
Ed C.