uploads over modem are SLOOOOOW!

Hi all,

I connect via dial-up with a usual connect of 50666/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS.
When I send a large email with attachments or upload a file it is VERY
SLOW.  Watching the traffic on something like pppload or wmppp show
only short bursts of intermintent traffic, often there is a 5-7 second
pause between the upload bursts.  I don't have any problems with
dowloads.  I don't set mtu or mru in the ppp config files, after the
link is up ifconfig shows that mtu is set at 1500.  My latest upload
test via ftp gave '725473 bytes sent in 1187.13 secs (0.6 kB/s)' and a
download test gave '725473 bytes received in 133.82 secs (5.3 kB/s)'.
That's a factor of 8.87 speed difference between download and upload!

Do I have to live with this or do I have something configured wrong.
I am running kernel 2.2.11 and ppp 2.3.7-3.

Thanks for any pointers,

--
Brian