Re: uploads over modem are SLOOOOOW!

Hello Brian,

On 20-Aug-99, you wrote:

BS> Hi all,
BS>
BS> I connect via dial-up with a usual connect of
BS> 50666/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS. When I send a large email with
BS> attachments or upload a file it is VERY SLOW. Watching the traffic
BS> on something like pppload or wmppp show only short bursts of
BS> intermintent traffic, often there is a 5-7 second pause between the
BS> upload bursts. I don't have any problems with dowloads. I don't set
BS> mtu or mru in the ppp config files, after the link is up ifconfig
BS> shows that mtu is set at 1500. My latest upload test via ftp gave
BS> '725473 bytes sent in 1187.13 secs (0.6 kB/s)' and a download test
BS> gave '725473 bytes received in 133.82 secs (5.3 kB/s)'. That's a
BS> factor of 8.87 speed difference between download and upload!
BS>
BS> Do I have to live with this or do I have something configured wrong.
BS> I am running kernel 2.2.11 and ppp 2.3.7-3.
BS>
BS> Thanks for any pointers,

Don't forget that V90 isn't symetrical - I believe it's only only on
D/Ls that you'll approach 56K.  I think the U/L rate is still 33.6K
max.  Even so, it still sounds as though something may be wrong.  Have
you got an external modem, so you can see the LEDs? or if it's
internal, is there a package that will 'repeat' the LEDs onto the
screen?  Do pppload and wmppp show only data successfully transferred?
If so, the LEDs might show that the modem's trying to send data all the
time.  What's the CPU utilisation like - is your cpu busy during the
'waits'?

Regards,

LeeE
--