Re: uploads over modem are SLOOOOOW!

> I connect via dial-up with a usual connect of 50666/ARQ/V90/LAPM/V42BIS.
> When I send a large email with attachments or upload a file it is VERY
> SLOW.  Watching the traffic on something like pppload or wmppp show
> only short bursts of intermintent traffic, often there is a 5-7 second
> pause between the upload bursts.  I don't have any problems with
> dowloads.  I don't set mtu or mru in the ppp config files, after the
> link is up ifconfig shows that mtu is set at 1500.  My latest upload
> test via ftp gave '725473 bytes sent in 1187.13 secs (0.6 kB/s)' and a
> download test gave '725473 bytes received in 133.82 secs (5.3 kB/s)'.
> That's a factor of 8.87 speed difference between download and upload!
>
> Do I have to live with this or do I have something configured wrong.
> I am running kernel 2.2.11 and ppp 2.3.7-3.

I've observed the same thing with a variety of different configurations.
I always blamed it on some inherent inefficieny in SMTP or sendmail or
something.

That probably isn't the case, though.  SMTP should be no more inefficient
that HTTP--the data transmission happens in more-or-less the same way. It
probably isn't sendmail's fault either since I've seen it with sendmail,
smail and exim at various ends of the connection.

Maybe the SMTP servers at our respective ISPs are under heavy load?

Sorry I haven't helped much, but you're at least not alone.

Greg

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
necessarily a good idea."  --RFC-1925