Re: Mail-question; Quick One!

vw@geus.DK wrote:

> Ok let me get this straight:
> I use a total of three (four) apps to read my mail: (pppd(pon) connects to
> my ISP,) fetchmail gets the mail, passes it on to exim, which sends it to
> the (one and only) user: me, and I finally invoke for example "mail" to read
> and edit mail.
> "mail" is (basically) an editor.
> exim takes care of internal mail (inside my machine, between root and user
> or apps like cron)
> fetchmail handles the connection out-of-the-box (mailwise)
> pppd/pon does the actual connecting bit (dialing and passwording and stuff)
> Please correct a pitiful newbie if he be lead astray from the path of
> righteousness.
> Best Regards
> Vitux

What you have described is what I understand to be the case.

Another option is to use two apps: ppp to establish the dial-up
connection, and an email client such as Netscape Messenger to
download/read your mail from your ISP. However, Netscape won't be aware
of internal mail messages such as that generated by cron. Nor is it as
configurable as fetchmail and/or a client such as mutt.

You could even use fetchmail to download the messages, exim to send it
to you, and then Netscape (as opposed to mail or mutt) to read it.

In other words, there are several permutations possible, but I think
you've got the general gist of what's going on.