Mail-question; Quick One!

Ok let me get this straight:
I use a total of three (four) apps to read my mail: (pppd(pon) connects to
my ISP,) fetchmail gets the mail, passes it on to exim, which sends it to
the (one and only) user: me, and I finally invoke for example "mail" to read
and edit mail.
"mail" is (basically) an editor.
exim takes care of internal mail (inside my machine, between root and user
or apps like cron)
fetchmail handles the connection out-of-the-box (mailwise)
pppd/pon does the actual connecting bit (dialing and passwording and stuff)
Please correct a pitiful newbie if he be lead astray from the path of
righteousness.
Best Regards
Vitux

Error is human; complete disaster takes a computer