dselect problem

I ran dselect in order to add a few packages and to remove some I do not
need, like CVS.  Now, dselect insists on removing some packages I never
asked it to remove and the worst part is that I cannot seem to fix this
with dselect by changing "remove" to "install".

Is there a text file somewhere that I can use to keep dpkg from carrying
out these outlandish actions?

Information about 4051 package(s) was updated.
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libmd5-perl gnome-bin w3mir perl libgnome32 gedit libcgi-perl eperl
  libgnorbagtk0 popt ttysnoop g++ orbit python-mpz perl-5.004-doc
  libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1-dbg libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1-dev perl-suid libgnomeui32
  signify ssh libmime-perl perlmenu gnome-core libgnomesupport0 ssh-askpass
  libzvt2 alias libpanel-applet0 www-search libgnorba27

I only want to remove the Gnome packages, since I don't need them and only
have a 4GB drive.  I definitely did not ask to remove g++

thanks

--
Andrew