Re: Start Fetchmail as Daemon at Boot?

On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 10:03:47PM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I've been typing fetchmail -d 300 to start up fetchmail after
| rebooting in order to get my mail. I seem to be rebooting often,

  Are you always connected to the internet? If not you may only want to
  run fetchmail when your connection is up. In my case, I'm the only
  user on my machine, so I have a ~/.fetchmailrc directing the fetchmail
  daemon what to do. Then, I put I script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d named
  fetchmail that runs when my ppp connection is up. I basically gleaned
  this from somewhere(??). It runs under my user permissions, though
  there is certainly a way to run it as user mail and have it get all of
  the mail for all of your users based on their ~/.fetchmailrc entries.

  #!/bin/sh
  PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin
  export PATH
  su -c 'fetchmail -d 300' eric

  I also have a script in /etc/ppp/ip-down.d named fetchmail to stop the
  daemon. Though, I'm not sure this is necessary.

  #!/bin/sh
  # Kill fetchmail
  PATH=$PATH:/sbin/usr/sbin
  export $PATH
  su -c 'fetchmail --quit' eric

  If you're always connected, you could put a script in /etc/init.d and
  link it to the various runlevels using update-rc.d. You'll want to
  give it a high number, like S99fetchmail so it's one of the last
  things to get started.
--

Eric G. Miller