Re: [Debian: Install] Harddisk partitioning

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:23:27 +0100, Michelle Konzack
<starone@cybercable.fr> wrote:

[...]
>Now I like to install Debian 2.1 on it but I do not know,
>in which partitions.
>
>My problem is, that I do not know the size of the root and use prtition,
>because I need to install many source for compiling and Software development.
>
>Where must I put all the source codes ???
>In the root partition or usr partition ???
[...]

  This will probably attract a few flames, but if you are running
anything but a heavy-load server, I'd suggest putting _everything_ on
one partition.  This will solve all problems like this (on which
partition should I put xxx), and has the added advantage that you have
less "slack" (the extra space you allocate to each partition so it
doesn't run out if you add an extra file to it).  (If resizing ext2
partitions was easy and reliable this could be different, of course, but
I don't know of any program that does this.)

  Meanwhile, I think the most logical place to put your personal source
code would be /usr/local/src/<your_project_name>.

  Gertjan.

--
Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>
The Boot Control home page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~gklein/bcpage.html