[Debian: Install] Harddisk partitioning

Hello,

I have a IBM DAQA 33240 with 3095 MByte.

Now I like to install Debian 2.1 on it but I do not know,
in which partitions.

My problem is, that I do not know the size of the root and use prtition,
because I need to install many source for compiling and Software development.

Where must I put all the source codes ???
In the root partition or usr partition ???

My Harddisk table curently is:

hda1    Fat16     WfW 3.11                       250 MByte
                                                 (needed for compatib.)  :-((

hda2    Fat16     DR-Dos 7.03 TCP/IP + DJGPP     250 MByte

hda3    Linux83   Boot/Root                     1500 MByte

hda4    Linux82   Swap                           200 MByte

hda5    Linux83   /usr/                          900 MByte

It is better to put the source codes on a seperatly partition ???
Possible a new Harddisk ???
The other question is, MUST I store the source codes on my Harddisk ???
I have this question, because I have two ZIP drives with 100/250 MByte,
a SyQuest SQ3270 and possible in some month a DVD-Ram.

I need to install following binarys:

        1)      Debian 2.1
        2)      XFree86
        3)      KDE 1.1.1
        4)      StarOffice                      (Possible the Pro version
        5)      Netscape
        6)      Pine
        7)      Software for Audio sampling,... (SB 64 AWE PnP)
                    Any recommandations for a better Soundcard or
                    Audiosystem are welcome.
                    Must work with Yamaha keyboards.
        8)      Graphic Software                (Proffessional)
        9)      Software for Video sampling,...
                    Any recommandations for Video cards are welcome.
                    I need S-VHS and possible two Video-Tapes.
       10)      CD-Burner Software

        A)      Personal secure HTTP server and secure FTP server
                    For the HTTP I like to use Appache but can
                    anyone recommend a secure FTP server???
                    I need the two servers urgently.

        X)      Source codes

Many thanks for your Help in advance

Webmistress Michelle

I will be very happy, if I have my Main-Workstation on Linux and
NOT WfW 3.11 which is neccesarily for the Work and some Clients.

Fortunately I do not need the Win9x/2000.