Re: cfdisk says hda is smaller than it really is!

Karl J Klug wrote:
> Hmmmmm....I don't know....  Can you pass the geometry to the kernel?  If
> the boot messages show the correct C/H/S geometry, then the problem is
> with cfdisk, I guess.  There's probably a way to force fdisk to use a
> particular geometry, but I've never tried it.  Try looking at all the
> screens when you run it -- mabye there's an "expert" mode?

I can pass the geometry to the kernel 'til the cows come home 'cause 2.0.x
won't see higher than 8.4GB.  The Linux boot messages _don't_ show the
correct C/H/S geometry, the FreeBSD boot messages did.  I could try forcing
it, but  I'll have to think that one through first.

> Can you partition the disk with FreeBSD, then install Linux?

Hrm, never thought of that.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.

> I've never used FreeBSD -- What do you think of it?

Well, I'm not about to start a BSD vs. Linux flame war on an already noisy
list, so I'll send you this part of my reply in private.  Thanks!

- d.