Re: cfdisk says hda is smaller than it really is!

"David Kane-Parry" <dkp@simons-rock.edu> writes:
> I can pass the geometry to the kernel 'til the cows come home 'cause 2.0.x
> won't see higher than 8.4GB.

Because you've been responding on the list to messages that haven't
been on the list (at least, I haven't seen them), I'm not sure what
makes you think this. And I'm not sure whether this will be of any
help.  But 2.0.34, at least, can deal with >8.4G IDE drives...

Aug  5 07:32:56 arioch kernel: Linux version 2.0.34 (root@arioch) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Tue Jul 6 12:27:22 EDT 1999
[blah blah blah]
Aug  5 07:32:56 arioch kernel: hda: Maxtor 91728D8, 16479MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=33483/16/63

and the drive works just spiffily.

This is on a system with one SCSI drive and one IDE drive. The BIOS
doesn't know about the IDE drive, so it boots Linux off the SCSI
drive.

I hope this helps somebody, if not you.
--
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.
http://www.clark.net/pub/hermit/