Emacs copyright was [Re: IglooFTP goes commercial. Violation of GPL?]

pausmith@nortelnetworks.com (Paul D. Smith) writes:

> How do you determine this?

The Mule people said so. It is kept pretty low profile

> All the copyright statements I saw in 20.4 after a quick check were
> merely by the FSF, including such docs as etc/DISTRIB.

I don't have 20.4 here. But this is the top of coding.c from 20.3

/* Coding system handler (conversion, detection, and etc).
   Copyright (C) 1995, 1997, 1998 Electrotechnical Laboratory, JAPAN.
   Licensed to the Free Software Foundation.

This file is part of GNU Emacs.

> That's quite fascinating if true.

Amazing isn't it.

> I wonder what the story is behind
> this; RMS has never been willing to do this before, and for him to bend
> like this simply to integrate what is, quite frankly, not a very good
> implementation of i18n (IMO, of course) is interesting to say the least.

If you believe Erik Naggum, it is because of pressure to compete with
XEmacs. However I don't think so. I think that it is more the fact
that he already had promised Kenichi Handa that he would merge in the
changes (from what was then NEmacs) if would rewrite them to allow to
not only one other language (Japanese) but multiple languages.

In addition the Mule people do have funding to have people work full
time on it (and to fly developers to Japan for conferences!).

The funny thing is:
<hearsay>
Apparently he was offered a similar deal by Sun.
Had a accepted that he would have not only have had a cleaner Mule
implementation but the XEmacs redisplay engine too.
</hearsay>

Jan