Re: Lost directories.

> In the past three weeks I have lost three directories.  Just
> disappeared.  I lost /usr/local/bin and had to start recompiling
> years's of work.  Sure, it's my own fault, but in the several years I

Aie !

> have been using Debian GNU/Linux, I have never had this happen.  I
> can't believe I was doing anything even close to that directory.

Do you trust all the users of your system ?

> Then I lost /root.  In the middle of a session, meaning I had to
> reconstruct the .bashrc and .bash_profile files.  Very strange.  I am
> sure I wasn't doing anything with /root!

hmm.

> Today, I lost a small subdirectory,  a symlink to another
> directory, in my home directory.  In the middle of an editing session,
> I had to reconstruct that directory, as a symlink, and save all files
> I was working on in emacs.  If I'd shutdown, I shudder to think what
> would have happened.
>
> I am fallable.  However, these kinds of errors have not happened to me
> in many years.  Suddenly, there is a rash of events.  Can someone
> advise me whether there is something I ought to be aware of?  Is this
> possibly a precursor of "greater" things to come?  Hardware failure?

Hmm
Firstly, I suggest you to make a backup of all your important Data because
If you trust all the users and are sure you didn't make any mistake, it's a
HD failure.
Have you tried to run e2fsck ?
Have you tried to run

debugfs /dev/partition
debugfs: lsdel
debugfs: dump <inode_which_seems_to_be_the_suppressed_file> /tmp/dump.001

See the Ext2-Undeletion mini HOWTO to see more details about this.

If you can recover the files with debugfs, it's certain that it's not an HD
failure because the files are OK but in this case, you should verify if
there isn't any trojan (no, I'm not parano :)) ) or any kind of virus on
your computer.
Verify your cron jobs, in the case you had put something that would delete
certain files according to wildcards.

I've a last question :
Are you sure you haven't lost any oher file - try for ex. the program cruft
to see of your system is complete.
I think it's weird because you always lost directories and if it's a HD
problem, I'm sure the HD isn't clever enough to delete the directories,
deleting also more files :^).

> I am worried.

Yes, for sure !
Good luck with your strange problem...

--
|    .                               ICQ      : 25529539
|    | |\  | |  | \  /               AIM      : linhax
|___ | |  \| |__| /  \               IRC nick : linhax
Sami Dalouche : samid@ifrance.com    DHIS     : pingoo.dhis.org